Vietnamese recipe based on rice vermicelli with beef and spring rolls
Today we continue with salad recipes for the summer and I offer you the recipe for one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes : Bò Bún! This is a cold salad of rice vermicelli topped with pickle-style raw vegetables, fresh bean sprouts, marinated beef and spring rolls, all drizzled with nuoc-mâm. Of course, depending on the contents of your fridge, do not hesitate to vary the toppings, I will give you the “basic recipe” but we can decorate it a thousand ways, for example, by replacing the beef with shrimp 🙂
For the spring rolls, you can pick them up at your Asian caterer or make them at home (click for my homemade spring roll recipe ) and if you are allergic, replace the peanuts with fried onions, it’s delicious!
- 350 g rice vermicelli
- 8 spring rolls
- 120 g fresh mung bean sprouts
- 3 sucrine
- 6 sprigs of fresh mint
- 2 stalks coriander
- 1 shiso stem
- 4 handfuls roasted and salted peanuts
- nuoc-mâm (fish sauce)
For the vegetable pickles:
- 3 carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tbsp. tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp. tablespoons rice vinegar
For the beef:
- 500 g beef (I took some tenderloin)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp. coffee sugar
- 2 tbsp. nuoc-mâm coffee (fish sauce)
- 2 tbsp. Coffee soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Wash the cucumber and carrots then cut them into sticks. Mix the sugar, salt and rice vinegar then pour over the vegetables. Mix well and let marinate in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Cut the meat into thin strips and place it in a dish. Add the chopped onion, the degermed and pressed garlic, the sugar, the nuoc-mâm and the soy sauce. Mix well then marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat a drizzle of sesame oil in a non-stick pan then add the beef and its marinade. Sauté over high heat until the meat is cooked through.
Preparation of Bò Bún
- Slice the salad and the herbs. Cook the rice vermicelli in boiling water according to the package directions then rinse in cold water to stop cooking. Drain and set aside. Heat the spring rolls.
- Prepare a large bowl per person: place the rice vermicelli in it, then distribute the pickled vegetables, the salad, the bean sprouts and the herbs. Add the spring rolls cut into sections and the beef.
- Sprinkle with crushed peanuts and drizzle with nuoc-mâm sauce. Serve immediately.