A moist rainbow cake garnished with white chocolate ganache decorated unicorn style.
You must have seen it pass if you follow me on Instagram, I made a cake in August for the birthday of my darling’s little sister and as she is a fan of unicorns, the theme of the cake was all found 🙂 I don’t often bake decorated cakes, even less in sugar paste, but it really amused me to make this one. In addition, it allowed us to practice video with our new stabilizer and editing software, because as I have told you a little about it, I would really like to develop my youtube channel and offer you more recipes in this format.
As this is a first and the studio was not finished yet, please be indulgent lol it is not perfect, I still did not dare to show my face but at least I speak for the explanations lol The video is a little long (20 minutes) because I really wanted to show all the steps so that you can easily achieve this cake. There is nothing complicated if you take your time, follow each step well and have fun above all !!
There will always be the recipe written on the blog alongside the video, and you can print the outline and the list of ingredients to make it easier to follow the recipe. For this cake, I went with very sweet flavors of vanilla and white chocolate but you can as usual modify the recipe to your liking, for example by using dark chocolate or pistachio flavor!
For the cake
- 200 g softened butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 6 egg
- 400 g flour
- 1 sachet baking powder
- 25 cl milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
For the white chocolate vanilla whipped ganache (garnish + mane decoration)
For the Swiss meringue buttercream (cake masking)
- 5 egg white
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 g softened butter
For the horns, eyes and ears
- 250 g white sugar paste
- 30 g black sugar paste
- 2 teaspoons gold food coloring
The sets – D-4, see earlier
- For the decoration, I advise you to watch the video. I formed a long sausage of white sugar paste for the horn and wrapped it around a skewer. I then painted it with gold food coloring.
- For the ears, I cut out hearts in the white sugar paste and I painted the inside in gold. I pinched the top of the hearts lightly and stuck a toothpick in them.
- Cut out the eyes with a knife in black sugar paste.
Cakes – D-2
- Preheat your oven to 180 ° C. Whip the soft butter with the sugar until the mixture becomes creamy. Add the eggs one by one, mixing well. Then add the flour and baking powder, then the milk and vanilla.
- Weigh the resulting dough and divide it into 6 equal parts. Place them in 6 bowls. Add the dyes to each bowl (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red).
- Bake each dough separately in 16 cm diameter molds. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes then turn out and let cool on a rack.
- Wrap in cling film and set aside at room temperature.
The whipped ganache – D-2
- Scrape the vanilla pod and put the seeds and pod in a saucepan with 25 cl of cream. Heat and let infuse 30 minutes to 1 hour off the heat. Remove the pod, bring to the boil again and pour over the chocolate pieces. Mix well then add 40 cl of very cold cream and place in the refrigerator.
The assembly – D-1
- Whip the whipped ganache until you obtain a whipped cream. Use 2/3 of the vanilla ganache to garnish the cake, alternating a cake and a layer of cream. Keep the rest of the cream in the fridge.
Buttercream – D-1
- Put the egg whites and the sugar in a salad bowl and place on a saucepan of hot water to make a double boiler.
- Whisk until reaching a temperature of around 50 ° C. Off the heat, continue to whisk until cool.
- Add the softened butter and whisk for another 2 minutes at medium speed, until the mixture is airy and uniform.
- Cover the cake entirely with a first layer of cream then leave to harden for 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Cover with a second layer, smoothing well.
The decoration – D or D-1
- Divide the whipped vanilla ganache between 3 bowls and add a little coloring in each bowl (blue, yellow and red for me). Mix well then place the creams in 3 pockets. Place the 3 pockets together in a larger pocket fitted with a fluted nozzle. Poach on the cake to form the mane.
- Reserve the cake in the refrigerator. Add the sugar paste decorations only when ready to serve.